Born on a small island in the South of Japan, I spent most of my childhood moving around between continents and states. I attended high school and college in Utah, studying advertising at Brigham Young University with an emphasis in commercial film directing. I still live in a small farm town south of the great Salt Lake in Utah, with my wife and dog.
My passion for film was fostered early on in my youth, whether I was filming my friends skating or producing neighborhood films to make people laugh. In the beginning I didn’t believe I could convert my passion to a job, until a school music video I made turned viral and people began to believe in my creative ability.
I built my career the way most of us do, on bootstrapped productions with small run and gun teams. Ten years later I’m still passionately writing, directing, producing and laughing to myself that I can call what I do “work”, because it certainly has never felt like work. My first real job in film had be at a production house literally sweeping the floors and organizing boxes. Within a few months I was able to prove my value and went from the mop to set in Morocco directing a spot of my own.
My tastes and expertise range from cinematic commercial narratives, to raw branded content documentaries. I eat, sleep, and drink films. It’s what gets me out of bed every morning. I’m not sure how much of the industry still runs on passion, but I don’t think there’s anything other than passion that pushes me to make the type of work I think the world deserves to see.
• One Club for Creativity - Young Ones Portfolio Award 2018, Film (The only film portfolio awarded that year)
• 2018 (2) Art Directors Club (ADC), Gold Cubes
• 2018 (2) Art Directors Club (ADC), Silver Cubes
• 2018 (1) Art Directors Club (ADC), Bronze Cubes
• 2018 AAF American Advertising Awards (ADDYS), National Best of Show
• 2018 (2) AAF American Advertising Awards (ADDYS) Gold ADDY’s
• 2018 (2) Gold, TELLY Award’s
• 2018 (1) Bronze, TELLY Award
• 2017 CLIOS, Shortlist
• 2017 AAF American Advertising Awards (ADDYS), National Gold ADDY
• 2012 1st Place All State High School Film Festival
• 2011 1st Place All State High School Film Festival